thank you, thank you, thank you
I am extremely, extremely humbled. Three of my readers (legalballerina, ceciliamaria and The Traveling Dancer) have nominated me for the Liebster Award.
Here are the rules (short and sweet eh? and shamelessly copied from legalballerina)
Here are the rules for accepting the award:
1.Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog.
2.List 11 random facts about yourself.
3.Answer the 11 questions given to you.
4.Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.
5.Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or less followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
6.Go to each bloggers page and let them know you have nominated them.
11 Random Facts
1. I just finished college and feel really empty and up in the air
2. I’ve been inside an MRI machine and thought it was super cool
3. I really like computers and programming
4. (embarrassed to admit) I read and write fanfiction more than is healthy
5. I’m obsessed with everything Victorian
6. I kind of have a dancecrush on Roberto Bolle (come on, don’t tell me you haven’t had one too!)
7. I woke up at 5 am today. Jetlag…
8. I refuse to wear leotards unless they’re black.
9. La Bayadere was the first live ballet I saw
10. I used to be addicted to Oreos
11. Peppermint soy latte is my favorite Starbucks beverage
Now onto the questions
(1) Favorite movie
The Lord of the Rings trilogy or Source Code or … (hard to pick just one)
(2) Describe your most embarrassing moment
I’d rather not. It’s not for the squeamish.
(3) What is your DREAM pet (be creative people!)
A cyborg horse that can output Starbucks lattes
(4) If you could choose another occupation (and not worry about school or brains or yadda yadda yadda), what would you be?
Athlete (professional triathlete) or ballet dancer
(5) Name the super power you have. (Yes, you have a super power. Think….)
An ability to connect my brain to the internet
(6) If you could look like anyone, who would it be????
ouch… tough one… there are so many people I want to look like
(7) Name your favorite (current or past) Boy Band. (The men I nominated has to answer this question too!)
Take that (nope, not One Direction, people)
(8) Favorite color and what does it remind you of?
Blue, reminds me of innocence, spinsterhood (blue-stockings, anyone?), purity, a nice summer day, winter and all that
(9) Would you ever shave your head for a good cause?
Yes. I’d shave it even for a bad cause. Unfortunately, I’m still close enough to my mother not to push that envelope, but perhaps one day
(10) How many jacket do you own?
Five I think. Too many.
(11) Clear your mind….Now tell me what is the first word that pops into your mind.
(1) Who/What inspires you the most to follow you dreams?
The knowledge that time is finite.
(2) Are you a tea drinker or a coffee drinker?
I used to be a tea drinker all the way, but then Starbucks happened and yeah. Once you go down the latte road it’s a long hike back. But I think I’m slowly getting back to my steamy evening Earl Grey’s.
(3) When you are all alone and dancing from your heart, what style describes said dance?
A faux ballet in which a beautiful prince courts a beautiful princess.
(4) What is your favorite meal of the day?
(5) Luke Skywalker or Han Solo?
(6) When you need to retreat from the world, where do you go?
Into the deep silence of the library, the forest or the pages of an intriguing book.
(7) Fresh water lake or salty ocean?
(8) What is your favorite flower and why?
Heal-all because of the Robert Frost poem.
(9) If you were to go to the opera, would it be forced or by choice?
Can you get me a ticket? When can I go? Nessun Dorma has reduced me to tears on multiple occasions, though I’ve never seen it live.
(10) If you could choose, would you prefer to play a musical instrument or dance?
Tough one. I do love the piano. I also love ballet. I don’t know how to choose.
(11) What was the last book you read?
I’m almost done with Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.
The Traveling Dancer:
(1) What is your best recommendation for new bloggers?
Wow. I still consider myself to a be a newbie. But I’ve been writing for a few years, so I guess I can throw my two-cents into the pot. I think the best advice writers have ever received comes from Nike (think running shoes and sports gear, not Classics). Their best-known slogan in “Just do it”, and that’s exactly what you should do as a new writer. Just keep writing and blogging and wait for your unique voice to emerge.
(2) If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
At this moment, I feel like the answer is New York City. The beat of the big city, and all that. But I feel like this changes day to day. I love collecting places with beautiful sounding names like Cold Spring Harbor and imagine myself living there.
(3) What types of posts and blogs do you tend to comment on the most?
Random philosophical musings, lyrical essays with a flair. Hard to say. Depends on the writing and style really.
(4) Favorite youtube dance clip?
Ouch, tough one. One is definitely Nuages by Jiri Kylian (I first saw this on PointeTilYouDrop).
(5)Would you give up your day job to dance?
I don’t even have a day job and the way the economy is faltering and the rate which colleges are churning out graduates, I don’t expect I’ll have a paid day job anytime soon. But yes, given the hypothetical job, I would give it up to dance.
(6) What is your favorite dance studio?
I visited Steps only once, but I loved it! Going back to the dream of living in NYC…
(7) Do you like being corrected in class/what type of corrections work best for you?
Hands on corrections work the best. Also the rather nebulous corrections that have to do with artistry and dancing.
(8) Favorite book? Favorite quote?
So many. Anything by Haruki Murakami I guess, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World was particularly beautiful, in all its literary bizareness. And the short stories of Jose Louis Borges.
(9) Best snack between class?
Don’t usually snack between ballet class, but now that we’re talking about snacks, I have to mention a bad habit I picked up while studying for finals in the library: endless snacking on Oreos. Works miracles on the waistline…
(10)What’s your favorite leotard? (brand, style, color)
Leotards are the last in line on a student budget. Brand: anything from the sales basket. Style: must have long sleeves. Color: black. Doesn’t make you look any thinner, but I like telling myself it does.
(11) Best advice you wish would have known when you were younger?
Sometimes listening to your mother is not in your best interest. Okay, maybe that was harsh. But yeah, I feel like I’ve spent a lot of time walking on the paths that other people have trampled and too little on my own.
Dave Tries Ballet
Leotards and the Buns in Them
Ballerina in My Head
Corner of Confessions
Interpreting En Pointe
Grown-Ups at the Barre
The Music and the Mirror
Knit Two Pointe Two
Short and to the Pointe
Questions for the Lovely Nominees
(1) Who is your favorite actor/actress
(2) What is the one place where you feel at peace?
(3) What is your favorite poem/novel/work of fiction?
(4) Who was your first ballet/dancer crush
(5) What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
(6) If you could be anyone from the X-Men comics, who would you be?
(7) What do you look for in blog posts? What is a good blog post?
(8) Batman or Iron Man?
(9) Who is your favorite singer/ song artist?
(10) If you could choreograph a ballet, what would it be about?
(11) What made you happy today?